Follow us on:   

Six US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
December 21, 2015, 9:26 pm

Afghanistan government soldiers have carried out the bulk of campaigns to combat the Taliban and other threats after most international troops withdrew [Xinhua]

Afghanistan government soldiers have carried out the bulk of campaigns to combat the Taliban and other threats after most international troops withdrew [Xinhua]


A suicide bomber riding a motorbike attacked and killed six US military servicemen on patrol near their base in Bagram in north-east Afghanistan, an army official said on Monday.

Three other soldiers were injured, but their nationalities were not given. The patrol was comprised of a joint Afghan-US contingent.

Bagram base is home to the remaining 10,000 US troops who have not withdrawn from the country on the request of the government in Kabul, which lies 40 kilometers south.

Although there has been no claims of responsibility for the suicide bombing – the Islamic State has gained a foothold in Afghanistan, government sources believe the attack comes as part of a renewed Taliban strategy to strike hard at foreign and government targets, as well as seize territory.

The attack on Monday comes as Taliban forces are poised to overrun the strategic town of Sangin in the southern Helmand province.

Helmand was the pivotal allied command center in Helmand province; UK forces were stationed there until their withdrawal in October 2014.

The fall of the town to the Taliban would mark a symbolic victory 14 years after they were routed from the capital Kabul.

Deputy Governor of Helmand Mohammad Jan Rasulyar said in a press conference that Sangin’s police station had been seized by Taliban fighters and that casualties among US-trained government forces were high.

The BRICS Post with inputs from Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.