Follow us on:   

Kunduz hospital strike ‘a mistake’ – US commander
October 6, 2015, 8:16 pm

Campbell said that even though Afghan forces had asked for the air strike, their request should have gone through rigorous US procedures [Xinhua]

Campbell said that even though Afghan forces had asked for the air strike, their request should have gone through rigorous US procedures [Xinhua]


The American commander in Afghanistan General John F. Campbell acknowledged Tuesday that it was ultimately a US military decision that led to the air raid on a hospital in Kunduz, a northeastern city which had earlier been overrun by Taliban forces.

“To be clear, the decision to provide aerial fires was a US decision made within the US chain of command. A hospital was mistakenly struck,” Campbell told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“We would never intentionally target a protected medical facility,” he added.

At least 22 people were killed during the air raid on the hospital run by charity medical organization Doctors Without Borders (MSF) on Saturday.

“At 2:10 AM local time on Saturday October 3, the Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières’ (MSF) Trauma center in Kunduz was hit several times during sustained bombing and was very badly damaged,” said a statement from MSF.

The US commander said that even though Afghan forces had asked for the air strike against Taliban forces allegedly in the area, their request should have gone through a “rigorous US procedure”.

Campbell said that a US investigation was already underway; MSF has now demanded an independent international investigation.

The BRICS Post with inputs from Agencies

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.